Monday, July 13, 2009

Synvisc Side-Effect reported to forum

This was reported to Knee 1 Forum by a poster named David on 2/02/2002 http://www.knee1.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=27&threadid=301&enterthread=y

A warning about Synvisc...I just had a very bad experience and found out from some of the top orthopedist that it isn't that rare. Read on, I am 48 and have moderate to severe arthritis in my left knee (after ACL replacement) which is painful, but manageable and still allows me to participate in active sports like tennis and skiing. A year ago I had Hyalgan injections, which had no side-effects, and gave excellent relief for about 4 months. In preparation for a ski trip to Aspen this year, I decided to have another series to insure that the knee was as pain free as possible during the week of skiing. But this time I opted for the Synvisc version...big mistake. The first 2 injections were fine and the knee was better than ever. However, 2 days after my 3rd injection while I was on my way to my ski vacation to Aspen, my knee swelled to the size of a cantaloupe and was very painful. The clinic in Aspen, after they drained almost a liter of fluid from my knee, told me that they saw this kind of reaction to Synisc in up to 1/3 of their patients...and that they discontinued use a couple of years ago. Now they only use the Hyalgan version, which they've said they've never had a bad reaction to. They say that my knee will recover from the reaction in a couple of weeks...I wish I would've known about the bad track record of Synvisc vs Hyalgan...would've saved me a ski trip. Just wanted to pass along this experience and the word from the Aspen clinic, (and this is knee central due to all of the skiing.) --David
***

I don't know if David's reaction cleared in a couple of weeks or not. If so, he's one of the lucky ones.

6 comments:

  1. Major knee injury and surggery 30 years ago. Constant moderate but liveable pain since. I have tolerated the series of 3 Synvisc injections well, 5 times, and they have helped greatly. Three weeks ago I had my first SynviscOne injection. I woke up SCREAMING IN PAIN at 3am. Literally screaming for 2 days, huge swelling in knee, hot to the touch. Dr office said ice, elevate, ibuprophen and rest. Hello??? I HAD A LIFE!! I was on crutches for 10 days. 3 weeks out, I am still walking with a cane and can only walk 30 or 40 feet before the pain gets so bad i have to sit. Can not sleep at night due to intense pain. I am wondering if this dramatically increased disability will last forever, but can get no straight info. My doctor office did not warn of the possibility of such a violent reaction and is unwilling to do anything about it. I was told that such reactions can happen in up to 1% of patients and are most often in knees with little or no joint space, and major arthritic changes. Use at your own risk!! And may God help you if you do have such a reaction, because the doctors and the company won't!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of your experience. Sadly, your experience with your injecting physician and Genzyme is typical of many for whom I'm in touch with. MONEY...it's all about money. NOT people.

    I'm 2.5 years out and still dealing with systemic issues from Synvisc. I'm much better, but it has been a really LONG hard fought battle with scores of IV's of detox and ozone injections to get to this place. I highly encourage you to find an ozone physician who can help detox your joint with ozone. Google
    shallenberger and ozone injections. At his site you should be able to find a physician in your area, or contact them to find one. It's WORTH traveling if you have to.

    Patients are at an increased risk of "injury/recation" to Synvisc with each injection. This is medically documented. Many OS have stopped using it due to the reactions seen in patients, though many still use and in denial...like mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read your post regarding a systemic reation to the Synvisc. If possible, please elaborate. Had a Synvisc injection this past November and have been in debilitating pain almost every day since, every joint and still spreading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm exactly 3 years out from my Synvisc injections. Most of the symptoms lasted WELL over a year, and I still deal with some. IV chelation & homeopathics help me overcome the spiral downs, and this is what saved my life and is restoring my health. AND it's vital for me to eat mostly organic food, and use ONLY organic and natural cleaning products and body care to aid the healing process.

    a] debilitating fatigue
    b] periods of breathing
    c] racing heart and cough
    d] Sticky skin & inside of the mouth
    e] loss of coordination and balance, and some short term memory
    f] Dizzy spells
    g] persistent tremors throughout face, chest and arms
    h] brain tremors -- feels like the vibration of an idling car
    i] Overall constant burning sensation throughout body, and entire nervous system, including my brain. It was unbearable in the first few months
    j] Intense acid burning that started with the injection in proximal and distal fibular head area and shin
    k] Random body jerks and pressure in my chest that started with the injection.
    l] Numb arms, hands, legs, feet
    m] Body trembled uncontrollably
    n] OVER THE TOP chemically sensitive since injections

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have developed asthma from having these shots. I never had asthma before. Now, I have periods especially when I am exposed to petroleum-based chemicals where I have trouble breathing. Oxygen is of no help- I am allergic to the plastic tubing. Asthma sprays and inhalers do not help- they have chemicals in them also. It's been 5 long years of suffering for me. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. Heed our suggestions......

    ReplyDelete